Sunday, July 14, 2013

OUT!! #35: Are You a "Naturalist"?

"Crow Planet: Essential Wisdom from the Urban Wilderness" by Lyanda Lynn Haupt is one of those non fiction books that I can pick up over and over again, read a specific section, and get transported back to the wonder and intrigue that attracted me to it in the first place. What drew me in particular was a section on the modern definition of what a "naturalist" is. She writes the following on pages 41-42:
"Developing as a naturalist, a knower of nature, is arguably one of the most critical task for modern humans on the planet Earth, yet naturalist is a word and a role that has, in the last century, lost its core meaning. Not that the tern isn't used. After about a half a millennium during which the title was deemed archaic and dropped out of common parlance, naturalist is suddenly the word of the moment. It seems everyone calls herself a naturalist these days. The counselors who watch over my daughter at day camp? Naturalists. "Why are they called naturalists?" I inquired of the camp director. Well, because of all the nature activities of course. And it's true that my daughter did bring home a mosaic fashioned of leaves and sticks glued onto a paper plate. Claire and the other fifty children also pillaged the native plants around a nearby pond and stuffed them into ill-fated mayonnaise-jar terrariums that sat on kitchen counters for two weeks, all fogged up, before dying. The high school student at the city aquarium who, bless her, memorized all twelve species in the "touch-tank" and spends her summer helping children identify them is distinguished as a naturalist. It seems anyone connected with any sort of job that can be construed as having something to do with nature becomes, on their resume, a naturalist..."
Now most of you are thinking, "G. Perkins, that's a lot of words and while I can agree that certain words are used too often to describe something they aren't like chiropractors being "medical professionals" or Donald Trump being a "businessman", but what are you trying to get across?" I suppose what I found most interesting was my reaction to this section and what it really means to be considered a "naturalist". Haupt goes on to discuss the history of what a naturalist was and how she defines it. She describes the position as being a medley of different disciplines that all offer an appreciation for the natural world. Subjects and practices such as art, philosophy, cookery, field craft, observation, and scientific inquiry all have provided roles in the enjoyment and learning process concerning nature and her cohorts.

I don't describe myself as a naturalist or even a "nature-lover". I see myself mainly as an appreciator and an observer. While other thoughts might chime in, noting my drawings and characters locked away in an abandoned sketchbook somewhere as having been inspired by the natural world, as well as, my appreciation for literature, both fantasy and realistic, that contains visions of that world as well. Instead I hesitate to specifically link this with a "naturalist" mentality or identity. I suppose what keeps me from identifying with it most, is my presumption that a naturalist has spent many years within a given area and garnered a certain knowledge of that given area. Back home in the Sudbury River Valley, it would have to be here that I could comfortably called myself a naturalist as I know its different habitats very well and know what creatures and other natural phenomena to expect there as well. 

This summer I am at camp once more and I've been wondering about that passage more lately. I wonder if my fellow counselors feel the same. I probably think about these things more than other people, but I really want to know what people's opinions of the title is. Of the two camps I've ever worked at, the title of "teacher-naturalist" has always remained consistent, when really we're all counselors with a varying knowledge and interest in the natural world. Some more than others just need a summer job and a chance to get outside, while others like myself love teaching kids about nature and getting the chance to show off our knowledge to the younger generation is a wonderful and humbling experience. When I get the chance to ask that question, I'd love to follow up on it with another post. Maybe even this week too. I would love to see what others think of this question.

Have a good week and stay cool. It's supposed to be a scorcher "they" say.

No comments:

Post a Comment