Friday, July 26, 2013

OUT!! #36: Summer Doldrums

It's the middle of the summer camp season officially today. After this only three weeks remain and I'm waiting for it. This week has been the usual interesting medley of triumph and trouble, but the last two days have felt like a mental stress test. I understand that working with 6 and 7 year old children has it's own challenges and joys, but I really started to feel like this week was harder than the prior two. The past two days I have been feeling lousy for two reasons. One is that we've been having some listening issues in our group and as a result, when you attempt to explain an activity to the kids, half of them have no clue what's going on and ask all the way through what we are doing and how to do it. Also they take way, waaay too long to get ready to go places. Individually they might be good kids, or even great kids, but you put the wrong mixture of kids together, then something bad might pop out of it.

The second thing is loneliness. This weekend I finally get to see the love of my life when she returns from Ohio. After three weeks apart, I'm going crazy. I pine for her and love her so deeply that when I'm sitting alone in my room in the evening, I can't even stand the silence. But she'll be here Sunday and when she is, all the animosity I've felt this week will melt away. I hope she likes the present I got her at the nature store yesterday too. Bird-themed of course!

Well. Another Friday has come and with only three more to experience this summer, I can only hope to cheer up by next week because next Friday will mark a month at camp. I'm sick of feeling sad because I'm pretty happy with how my group is running, how well (this week is hopefully an outlier in terribleness) all our activities are going, and with the camp in general. It's a big space to explore and while I can wait to see what happens next week, I'm more hopeful for a less stressful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment